Sliding Glass Door Repairs
The type of door that is easy to open does not use hinges. Instead, they have tracks where they slide. A sliding glass door is a favorite feature, especially in Miami where many places have a deck or a patio. Unfortunately, some problems can arise. If you have a damaged sliding glass door, you need to make sure it is fixed right away. Sliding glass door repairs are essential to ensure the safety of your home.
If you have a sliding glass door, you know how they improve the visual effects to your room, while providing access to the great outdoors. Some sliding doors are also used for pantries and closets. Sometimes, they are for concealing furnaces and water heaters.
Do You Need Sliding Glass Door Repairs?
A sliding door should slide horizontally without issues – at least that is what they are supposed to do. However, these contraptions can become stubborn as they resist opening. If you have the same problem, you can inspect the lower track. Often, debris causes the door to stop sliding effortlessly. The lower track is easily clogged because pets and people go in and out of the room, leaving dirt and small particles, such as leaves on that channel.
Sometimes, even if the doors are clean, they still do not slide as easily as before. In this case, the problem lies in the rollers of the door. Both the top and bottom rollers may have a problem. The bottom rollers typically start rubbing against the track, which causes the sticking door. Meanwhile, the top rollers can wear down, which often causes the bottom rollers to rub on the lower track.
Signs Your Glass Door Needs to be Fixed
- If you are not sure that you need sliding glass door repairs, here are some signs that it is telling you to have it fixed:
- It requires you to exert effort in sliding the door.
- You need at least two hands to slide the door.
- You used to balance drinks using your other hand, while you slide the door. Now, you cannot do it anymore.
- The door only moves when you shake it along the track.
- As mentioned, dirty rollers are the top reasons why people need sliding glass door repairs. From mud to food to hair, there are plenty of things that can affect how the door slides.
Techniques for Sliding Glass Door Repairs
Sliding glass door repair Miam is typically a DIY job, meaning you can do it on your own. However, it can be a hazardous and challenging task because you will be handling large pieces of glass. You want to make sure that the sliding glass door repairs can provide you with quality and durable doors, which is why you should seek for the right Miami sliding glass door repair professional service.
Sliding glass door repairs should only be performed by someone or a group that has experience in fixing glass doors. This way, you will not have to worry about additional costs because the door will work for a long time.
Whether you have a broken glass or malfunctioning rollers that have been misaligned with the tracks, professional service for sliding glass doors repair Miami will handle the job for you. Here are the ways the experts will provide you with sliding glass door repairs:
- Before any replacement or Miami sliding glass door repair, the experts will wear protective gear so that any injury is avoided.
One of the most common complaints of people who need sliding glass door repairs is that their sliding doors become sticking doors. Experts know that over time, excessive use and exposure to elements can cause the problem.
To solve the issue, the experts will clean the track, usually with just soap and warm water. If this does not solve the problem, it means that dirt is not the cause. The repairmen will proceed to examine the rollers.
Cleaning is typically easy, especially since the experts do not mind some elbow grease. After all, sliding glass door repairs are never glamorous. For this part of the job, the tracks and the bottom of the door should be cleaned thoroughly.
Often, the experts begin by vacuuming first, and then they will scrub it with soap and water. Simple tools such as an old toothbrush can help remove dirt on the track. The track must be entirely vacuumed before wiping it down. When this part of the door is squeaky clean, a dry lubricant for coating will be applied.
Sometimes, the sliding door can have problems with its catch, which will need to be reshaped. The door repairmen will take a look at the catch if the rollers or the track is not the issue. To fix the problematic catch, they will remove it first. Then, using a vise, they will clamp it in. A hammer or pliers will bend the catch to its proper angle before putting it back to its place.
When debris is removed from lower tracks of the sliding door, the sliding glass doors repair Miami experts will pull away from the trim from the glass. The trim, which is also called the mull, should be cleared from the door as this step is crucial when extracting the sliding door.
After the trim is completely removed, the sliding glass doors repair Miami professionals will carefully remove the door from the frame. It will be slowly laid down on the floor, as gently as possible to avoid breakage.
When removing the door off of its track, the experts will look at the indented part at the top of the track. The door will then be moved to this spot and will be pushed upward. It will be tilted at a specific angle before pulling it from the bottom track and next by the top track. Doors are heavy as they can weigh at least 100 pounds for an eight-footer, so it is recommended that only pros should do this, especially if the door is huge.
Some homeowners may require a replacement for their sliding glass door. If this is your case, the experts will take care of it for you. They will take measurements first to calculate the glass size that you will need. Meanwhile, if a repair is required, a glass specialist will remove the broken glass. Typically, the process will also involve injecting a resin into the glass panel.
When the glass door is finally repaired and ready, it will be installed back to its frame. The trim will be back in its place as well. The process is simply a reversal of the extraction step. From lifting the door to aligning it with the track, the experts know what they are going to do. It will pop right back to its place and you will have your door, which will work as good as new.
Some Notes on Sliding Glass Door Repairs
Whether you are planning to attempt a sliding glass door repair Miam on your own or you will call a professional, here are some tips that you will certainly find useful:
For Miami sliding glass door repair, you must know the weather. As much as possible, do not do it on a day with a lot of precipitation or extreme temperatures. Since the door will be taken off for a few hours, it is better to choose a day with nice weather.
Purchase everything you will need ahead of time before you start with sliding glass door repair Miami. If you do not know what you need, inspect the door first. As soon as you learn the problem, such as wheels or rollers, be sure that you fix the door when the local hardware store is open.
Sliding glass door repair Miam means that you will have to remove the door. Sometimes, unexpected things can happen, so always be ready to put your sliding door back to its place – just for a temporary measure.
- As mentioned above, the sliding glass doors repair Miami experts will clean the door to get rid of debris. If you fix your door on your own, you should be ready to clean it as well. In this case, you should assemble some supplies for cleaning before you begin any Miami sliding glass door repair. Some of the things that are recommended include old or paper towels, degreaser, or any safe cleaning product, some light grease for greasing the track after the cleaning process. You may also need a vacuum cleaner to get rid of the dirt.
- From the list of steps that the sliding glass door repair Miami professionals will do, you might think everything is easy, including taking the door off. While it does sound simple, removing the door is most probably the most difficult part of the process, depending on how big it is.
- If you are worried about lifting the door off on your own, you should not attempt to do it without help from sliding glass door repair Miami experts. In many cases, sliding glass door repairs are best done with at least two persons. If you are in doubt, leave it to the pros so that you have no worries about repeating the job and wasting effort and money in the end.